Matt Barr is the Founder and CEO of Camps Canada, a summer camp based in Ottawa, Ontario. As a voice for Canadian Camp Owners and Camp Directors, Matt is a frequent guest on radio and television programs across the country discussing the latest trends and issues in summer camps. He can be reached by email at: email@example.com
Here is a list of questions to ask any camp director before you register. Pick and choose the ones that are relevant to you and your child. Feel free to print this page and keep it as a resource.
- Who do you hire as counselors? Are they experienced? How old are they? Are they certified in CPR and First Aid? Have they undergone a criminal record check?
- What are your hours of operation? for pre and post camp care? Is there an additional cost for extended hours?
- What is the ratio of campers to counselors? Ratios of 8:1 are common. A maximum of 10:1 is probably the maximum ratio you would want.
- Are snacks or a lunch provided? Is the lunch program optional or mandatory?
- What do you do on rainy days? Are your facilities air-conditioned?
- Do the children swim every day? What are your rules for supervision at the pool? Is there a wading pool for young campers?
- What is included in the price of camp? Do you take any field trips? Do you offer any discounts for multiple regostration, multiple weeks?
- Can you provide a list of references or testimonials? Word of mouth is the best reference. Ask around and find out where other parents are sending their children.
- How are different age groups divided? Are boys and girls divided? Can my child be in the same group as his/her friend?
- What if my child doesn’t like the camp? Do you offer a guarantee? What is your cancellation policy?
- Where can I find more information about your camp? Do you have a web-site? Can I register online? Can I pay by credit card?
- Can you accomodate children with special needs? life-threatening allergies?
- Which weeks of camp are still available?
- How and when will I receive confirmation of my registration?